Building Permits and Inspections
The Minnetrista City Code and the Minnesota State Building Code, which are both administered by the City, provide minimum standards to safeguard life, property, and public well-being by regulating and controlling the design, construction, and quality of materials used in building projects. Inspections are required for all building, construction, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work to ensure the work meets code and follows the approved plan.
The City of Minnetrista requires that you obtain a building permit before you begin working on your project. Permit fees are doubled if the permit is not obtained before the work begins. Building permits take up to 10 business days to process. If a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy is required for a new home permit, there will be an escrow held until a final grade survey has been approved. The amount of the escrow depends on the time of year. If the Temporary Certificate of Occupancy is issued between November 15 and June 30 , the escrow amount is $5,000.00 and if the Temporary Certificate of Occupancy is issued between July 1 and November 14 , the escrow amount is $10,000.00 .
Additional permits will be required for all plumbing, mechanical, and electrical work related to a building project.
Electrical inspections are done through the State of Minnesota. Please visit our Inspections page for information on obtaining electrical permits and scheduling inspections.
Applications, Handouts, and Forms:
- City of Minnetrista Permit Application
- Data Privacy Form A
- Do It Yourself Form C
- Fence Handout.pdf
- Mechanical Permit Application
- 2016 Plumbing Permit Application
- Recreational Fire Information Sheet
- Sign Permit Application
- Accessory Structure Permit Packet
- Basement Finish Permit Packet
- Deck Building Packet
- Demo Moving Permit Packet
- Egress Window Permit Packet
- Lawn Sprinkler Permit Packet
- New Home Permit Packet
- Re-Roof Permit Packet
- Re-Side Permit Packet
- Retaining Wall Permit Packet
- Screen Porch-3 Season Porch Permit Packet
- Smoke and Carbon Information Handout
- Stairways Guards Information Handout
- Stucco Permit Packet
- Notching & Hole Boring Information Handout
- Swimming Pool Permit Packet
- Window Replacement Handout Information
- Window Replacement Permit Packet
- Fire System Permit Application
- Commercial Permit Packet
Electronic Payments for Building Permits
Minnetrista has now made it easier for contractors and/or residents to pay for their building permits. You can now pay with a credit card over the phone or in person for a small 2.75% convenience fee (additional $0.50 for transactions below $100). Applicants are also able to pay by check over the phone for a $1.00 service fee. For security reasons, we will not be accepting credit card payments through the mail or fax.