FBI Fraud Alert
If you answer "YES" to any of the following questions, you may be getting scammed.
Are you about to cash a check from an item you sold on the Internet, such as a car, boat, jewelry, etc?
- Is it the result of communicating with someone by email?
- Did it arrive via an overnight delivery service?
- Is it from a business or individual account that is different from the person buying your item or product?
- Is the amount for more than the item's selling price?
Are you sending money overseas?
- Did you win an international lottery you didn't enter?
- Have you been asked to pay money to receive an inheritance from another country?
- Are you receiving a commission for accepting money transfers through your bank and/or PayPal account?
Have you received threatening emails that require you to pay money to spare your life and expose the person behind the scam?
- These emails are scams.
- The sender is trying to envoke fear and wants to prey off of that fear to get you to pay the "ransom" money.
TO REPORT AN ONLINE CRIME, GO TO: www.IC3.gov